My Faithful Husband; The Review…




My Faithful husband’s final episode sneaked up on us so discreetly that it was over before we even knew what was happening. I realized that it was the last episode half through the episode I think; when Dean introduced his fiancé to Emman and Mel and I won’t lie, I was pretty excited. It was a rare moment for me not to know that a show is coming to an end and it has not happened since Carmela. Unlike Carmela though, I think this is the best ending I have ever watched in my Telesyre watching history, which will not go down well with most people but I’ll tell you why this is the case.

Finales I believe are the hardest parts to execute in a Serye because as a creator, you always want to give a befitting end to your characters’ stories and at the same time satisfy your audience with the ending. It has become the norm that a finale should always come with a bang which is what we have come to expect; which I now think is part of the problem. The dynamics of telling a story are not concrete which therefore means that a writer, director and the production team can experiment with story-telling in all manner of ways and choose not to do the normal thing which sometimes shows a lack of creativity. Having watched Telesyres since forever, I am always looking out for something different and My Faithful Husband was able to give that to me.



With this review, I do not want to go to the Emman/Mel/Dean discussion because I feel we have had enough of those throughout the course of the show and I will instead look into the show as a whole. It has been a controversial program, so different that most of us said it was ‘boring’ and not ‘as good as’ Forevermore and My Destiny which I completely disagree with.
Once again, we are caught up in the comfort of the same narrative and refuse to give a story with a different dynamic a chance. Just because it’s different does not mean it’s bad. My Faithful Husband was not a fairy tale but a story that was able to address real, critical issues in modern society today. As a result, the show gave us a chance to have some of the best conversations, arguments and discussions that we were able to relate to and learn from. It was a story about marriage, infidelity, forgiveness, the ex that never learns to let go, family life, mother in laws, children born of different fathers, parents who have separated but have to learn to accommodate each other because of their children, children having to deal with parents who are no longer together, death and the loss of a loved one, how to deal with it, letting go and eventually moving on because there is really nothing else left to do.



The finale episode was especially interesting because it was very calm. There were no gun fights, no car chases, kidnappings or sudden deaths and the show was able to finish everyone’s story without any of the theatrics. Emman and Mel were able to find their way back to each other, Dean finally let go of Mel and got himself a fiancé, Mylene  got a boyfriend; the handsome doctor Brad which I think most of us failed to notice was actually Losing Heaven star Mike Tan (Jonas) and finally, Cedes was able to make her peace with Emman and was sent to prison as was required. What else is there to address really? So thank you to GMA for an amazing production, it’s now on to the next one…. :)

Please feel free to share your comments on My Faithful Husband’s finale as well…

1 comment: