Losing Heaven; the Review…















 Losing Heaven ended a week ago and we are already acquainting ourselves with the new show on KTNKenya. It was a short one; barely two months in, but all the same I believe most of us enjoyed it considering it was a GMA production from 2011.  Save for the poor graphics, the story was a good one.

It was a simple story although far-fetched but that only added to its charm. Ellery’s seven year comma was a bit of a stretch, I think you guys will agree. It was however a crucial part of the story and needed to be included. The casting was great as well and there wasn’t a character who didn’t play their part well.

Delfin played by Ricky Davao












I liked the consistency of the characters as well, with Ellery always being the forgiving one and Brigitte the crazy, havoc wrecking one. Delfin always saw the best in Brigitte even before he learnt that she was his daughter, which was a good twist. Blood is thicker than water so they say. If you were keen enough, you would have guessed that Brigitte was Delfin’s daughter even before it was confirmed in the show. Marissa had great instincts and they were a key play in the show as well. Jonas somehow never really knew what he wanted. Little Samantha was great also and it was good the way that her perception of Ellery gradually came to change and she grew to love her in the end. The only thing I’d take away from her was her overly mature script for a 7 year old. This was not always the case though. She played a child’s character but some things she said were a little too well thought out for a child. (This might lend to the image that I might not have been a smart 7 year old but that’s not he point.)

Brigitte played by Michelle Madrigal













The biggest twist for me during the show was Brigitte’s pregnancy and I think we all had a fun ride with it until its reveal. We weren’t disappointed when the big revelation finally came, leading to one of the best episodes in the serye. Both Ellery and Marissa reacted appropriately and to the news that Brigitte was pregnant with Jonas’ baby and it was everything we expected and more.  The issue led to Ellery’s annulment which I think was an overreaction on Ellery’s part especially after Jonas tried all manner of ways to get her to reconsider her decision. This leads me to a very crucial point that I few very few of you will agree with me. I really never felt the chemistry between Ellery and Jonas. When they were apart, you could see how much it hurt them to be apart and how they yearned to be with each other. ( It was the hardest thing watching Jonas sign the annulment papers and my heart broke for him) That was until they finally got back together and then all the affection they seemed to have for one another wasn’t palpable any longer. It never made sense to me the way Jonas always let Brigitte coax him into staying with her when she was pregnant. He ate at her house, visited her daily, took her to her doctor appointments and even lied to her when he was spending time with Ellery as if it was a bad thing. It was almost as if he wanted to stay with her and deceive Ellery but I’m glad they rectified how he treated Brigitte during the end although he still let her bully him into staying with her.

Jonas and Ellery played by Mike Tan and Carla Abellana












Moving on to the finale, most of you said it was good. I have to disagree on this and admit that I didn’t quite like it. I can’t tell whether the finale was edited from the original but the one we saw didn’t do it for me. It was a bit rushed and I think it would have been better if they had squeezed in one more episode. I didn’t like that it only took a few sentences from Samantha to make Brigitte change her entire stance when the entire show had been based on Brigitte’s unwillingness to let Ellery be. She had made it her mission to destroy Ellery’s life and her resolve to do so was what had driven the plot. Her very sudden quick of heart was just too easy and too quick although it was good to have Samantha be the cause of it. This also brings me to Marissa’s reaction when Brigitte finally died. She cried and consoled Leila when all along she had wished the same on her. I’m not saying she should have rejoiced, but her tears were too good to be sincere. I would have been better also if we would have seen Brigitte’s funeral as well as the wedding of Jonas and Ellery. 
One final thing, Where did Waldy run off to?

Marisaa played by Shamaine Buencamino











 
Overall, it was a good program and I think it’s safe to say that most of us enjoyed it’s run. Please feel free to air your views.

No comments:

Post a Comment